How do I care for my new wig or hairpiece?
Our Top Tips!
So you have taken the plunge and purchased your very own human hair wig, congratulations! Even though The Beautiful Hair Boutique has the highest quality human hair wigs available for women, it is still super important that you look after your new mane with a little TLC so it can stay luscious and beautiful for as long as possible.
Here are our top tips to care for your hair!
1. Salon quality products (professional grade) only should be used on the wigs or hair pieces. We strongly recommend using only salon quality hair products that have been specifically designed to hydrate and treat our beautiful human hair wigs. Products for each wig should be specific to the nature of it's hair.
2. Wash your wig like a professional - How? Follow these easy steps:
- Take all the knots out first! Lay your wig down flat and detangle the hair with love using a soft bristle brush, starting with the nape and ends and working your way up.
- Rinse the hair roots to ends in luke warm running water. This can be done in a sink or in the shower
- Shampoo the hair twice and then condition the wig
- Towel dry (gently please!)
- Leave the hair to dry a little before you start to brush, this give the root knots time to dry
3. Feeling the need to straighten or curl your wig? That's ok, but let’s just make sure you are using the correct tools and heat protectant products. Our wigs are made from 100% Virgin European hair and premium pre-coloured remy human hair so stay clear of any tools that are too heavy on the heat, as we would hate for you to damage the hair. We do not recommend using heat tools on a regular basis however special occasions is ok. Make sure you wash the hair first so it is hydrated prior to adding heat.
4. Choose the right brush and make sure you brush the hair at the end of every day. We recommend a soft bristle brush, that is flexible and won't put extra pressure on the hair.
5. Store your hair away safely when you aren't using it. Did you know our Human Hair Wigs have feelings too? So we need to make sure your hair is safely stored so they will hold her style and also help them live a little longer. After all doesn't everyone want to live a little longer? Each client is provided with a wig stand to store their hair when it isn't being used.
6. Wash the hair regularly! We strongly recommend you wash your wig max every 2 weeks if you are experiencing full hair loss and every 3-4 weeks if not worn daily and or you have hair. The hair needs to stay hydrated which washing it will do and also clean the build up of oils from inside your wig cap.
7. Clean or wipe the inside of your wig caps between washes to help avoid the build up of oils from the scalp between washes.
8. Avoid scratching the cap and the top of your wig as the French tops are handmade and very delicate. Hair is a delicate fibre so you need to be careful. It can be tempting to scratch the wig if you feel an itch, an often this can be done out of habit. This can cause little patches of hair loss if done repeatedly in the same area, so if you do feel the need, try to scratch underneath the cap directly onto the scalp. If you are in public, take a quick bathroom break.
9. We know it can be fun to play with your new hair but try not to pull the hair too much. We want your piece to last as long as possible so please be gentle. Consistently pulling on the hair places too much strain on the piece and cause hair loss. We can out of habit play with the hair when working or relaxing at home, please be mindful that this does place strain on the hand made french tops and it can be disappointing when this causes hair loss in your piece.
10. Show it a little extra love when needed! Our Aussie sun is strong so it can lighten and dry out the hair over a period of time. If you need us to give it a wig spa makeover for a beautiful refresh we would love to help bring your hair back to life!
11. Brush your wig regularly, especially by the nape area, to prevent tangling. Brush from the ends of the hair and work your way up. This technique helps to minimise hair loss.
12. If the wig tears or is damaged it should be looked at by a professional wig repairer right away to determine the scope of the repair and the urgency to make sure no further damage will be caused to the wig.
13. It is recommended to use sulfate free styling products if your wig has been processed or colour treated.
14. Do not sleep in the hair if you would like it to last. Sleeping in the hair can cause damage to the delicate hairs, we advise against doing this. If you choose to sleep in your wigs that is a very personal choice and you just need to take into account it won't last as long.
NB: Unfortunately we are unable to say exactly how long your gorgeous wig will last, as so much of this comes down to how often the piece is worn, the degree in which it is worn and how well it is treated. Just remember hair is a very delicate fibre so be gentle on your new hair to make sure it lasts as long as possible. If you are a full time wig wearer you may wish to consider purchasing multiple pieces and wear these on rotation.
We are here to help, so if you would like to chat to us further about how best to care for your hair feel free to
email: or phone us on 0431 110 220